Saturday, July 1, 2023

And the award for worst weight loss blogger goes to.....ME!

 Erm...hi. 

Well, this is embarrassing. I guess I should reintroduce myself and just pretend that this is a brand new blog. You know, since I've been gone for EIGHT YEARS. Good grief.

My name is Heather. I'm 56, 5'2", and currently about 292lbs. I'm also type 2 diabetic, but keeping it under control pretty well with medication. My last A1C was 6.6! The highest it's ever been is 11 something. Yikes.

I have struggled with my weight since I was about 18 or so. I found out in my 20's that I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) but have never received any treatment other than a short stint on birth control pills. I have a massive sugar addiction and live on fast food and carbs. I'm not sure there could be a worse combination for me! 

I have tried all the diets, and the only thing that has worked for me is a low carb diet. I have been approved for bariatric surgery three times. My insurance company demands that I must loose a certain percentage of my body weight within a six month period in order to have the surgery. Twice I managed to come within three or four pounds of the goal, but failed to achieve it. The last time I was approved was a few months ago, but my life is so stressful right now that - for the sake of my mental health - I backed out of the program. 

When I was successful in losing some weight the other two times, I was eating low carb. I wasn't really counting anything else - just trying to stay below 50 carbs a day. The interesting thing is that when I stopped eating that way and was not trying to be careful or lose weight, I didn't regain any of it. So, I'm going to start up again.

Part of the issue I have with my eating habits is my living situation and my work schedule. I currently live in a small hotel room with my mother and sister. We have been living like this for about the last four years and it SUCKS. We have a tiny refrigerator, a microwave, and a small electric skillet. It makes preparing meals.... well, let's say difficult. We wind up eating out a lot because it's easier. Everything we buy needs to be shelf stable due to our tiny fridge and miniscule freezer, so most of it is high carb. Adding to these issues is my work schedule. I work on-call, 12 hour shifts. I never know when I'll be called or how long I'll be away from home. Also, I may not get called at all. When I do get called, I usually have literally five minutes to gather myself and get out the door. I could be gone for four hours or fifteen hours. If I don't have anything with me for a meal, most of the time the only thing available is fast food, and 80% of the time it's 2am and only McDonald's is open. 

The final issue for me is...well, me. I have selective lactose intolerance and a rather irritable bowel. I can eat some dairy but not all (doctors who claim it takes two days for your food to go through your digestive system have never seen me eat a Dairy Queen blizzard. 20 minutes. Tops.), chicken breast meat goes through me like a bullet train (but not thigh meat for some reason), and lettuce is not my friend. I can eat some of these things in strict moderation, but eat it two days in a row and we will have a problem. Especially when I'm working.  Oh, and I HATE vegetables. All of them. Except - you guessed it - the starchy ones. Potatoes. Corn. Mushrooms (no carbs there though). I have enjoyed Keto friendly bars and snacks, but they are expensive and most are covered in chocolate. I do have a sweet tooth, but would not be devastated if chocolate was outlawed tomorrow. I have grown a bit tired of them. 

Since I'm not under pressure for time or goals, I'm going to be smart about this. I'm making lists (one of my favorite things to do) and putting my meal ideas down on paper.  I plan to set aside some space in our tiny fridge for items for me, and some meals I'll prep for work. If I don't get called in to work, then I'll just eat what I made. Which is another issue. Literally three minutes after I crack my eyes open in the morning (or what passes for morning for me - noon, 1pm, etc.) the first thing out of my mother's mouth is, "What are we having for dinner tonight?" Jeez, mom, I don't even know who I am right now! It is always the question of the day, and that dead horse gets beaten until it's beyond glue. Several options are thrown out by me and my sister; none of them cut the mustard. We finally decide on take out, but no one knows what they want; minds are changed a billion times; even changed while I am out getting everything. It's a bit frustrating. And when I say that they should do what they want, I'll fend for myself, this is not acceptable either.

This is my life. These are my limitations. I'm going to do the best I can. If you'd like, you can follow me on Instagram, too. 

Thanks for stopping by. If you have any helpful suggestions for meal planning, etc., please do share. I'll need all the help I can get.

TTFN (ta ta for now).


No comments:

Post a Comment