Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm back - with a NEW GOAL

Well, obviously the weight loss thing hasn’t been going so hot. I lost 10 lbs and gained it back; I actually probably did that about 6 times since the last time I posted on here.

*insert “World’s Worst Weight Loss Blog Ever Award here*

I am still working on the issues with my therapist that cause me to run straight to food for comfort; the hard part is that it is basically everything in my life! I have a lot of holes in my heart and soul, and I recognize now that I use food as a kind of spackle to try to fill those holes. Now I just have to work on finding other ways to fill those holes instead of using food. It may take a while.

So I have decided to change tactics.

One of my nieces sent me an email yesterday that has lit a fire under me for a couple of reasons. Her father, my sister’s ex-brother-in-law, has ALS (better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease). She sent out an email asking for creative ideas for a team name because she is getting one together for an ALS walk. We traded a few emails back and forth, then I thought – hey, why not find out when the walk is? If I haven’t moved back to Washington yet, I will do it here in Billings by myself in honor of him.

Turns out the walk is September 26th. I will definitely be back on the west coast by then, so I told my niece to sign me up to be on her team.

It’s a three mile walk. She is going to start training for it with one of my other nieces next week. I am going to have to train on my own, at least until I move, but I am going to start this weekend and the goal is to have some endurance built up by the time I move this summer. Then I can finish my training out there.

My niece is in the same boat as me; severely overweight and can’t seem to lose it, and continues to gain weight and be incredibly frustrated by it. We both have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can really interfere with weight loss and contribute to weight gain, so she and I can empathize with each other on the weight loss battle. She made the comment that she doesn’t have to be a size 2 to do a three mile walk, and she is totally right. And I told her that if she starts preparing for this walk now, she will be a smaller size when the day for that walk rolls around; and so will I.

So – there you have it. My new goal. I am still going to work on my eating habits, etc., but right now the main goal is exercise. I know that as I start to feel healthier through exercise and start to see changes in my body because of it, it will help me to want to eat better as well. I can’t wait to get started!!

Any tips on how someone my size (5’3” and weight is listed above) and completely sedentary can safely and effectively get started on this exercise goal?

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment